July 2, 2010

A Little Backstrap Weaving

I stumbled across an article about backstrap weaving in Weavezine on a slow day at work some months ago. I was fascinated from the very beginning. It's amazing what you can create with just some sticks and strings!

This is the article to start with: here.
This is the author's blog where she goes into more detail and talks about different techniques: here.

And this is my rough attempt to try out the technique. I definitely had problems with the edges early on, but I think I've finally straightened it out.


Here's the rather awkward tie-up I've got going. The house has only hardwood floors and I have trouble getting furniture to stay put anyway so I'm having a hard time finding somewhere to tie-up to that doesn't move. This is a support bar on my loom and I have to brace against it with my feet to keep it tensioned.


Here's the most recent, the heddles and the shed loop. Because I can.


I should finish this up so I can try some new designs. And I would love to find somewhere better to setup shop. Have a good weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rebecca,
    Your band looks great. Your edges really improved. In the last shot they look perfect! Maybe you could put some clamps on a table and lodge your loom bar behind them-that's good tie up option. I hope you are going to make yourself a backstrap next. Good job!

    Laverne

    ReplyDelete