August 30, 2009

Busy sunday

First off, a yummy breakfast with the 'rents at Canyon Creek Cafe in Bot-hell as James prefers to call it. Pumpkin pancakes, quite delicious.


And since I tend to make funny faces in most of the pictures taken of me, here's Mom making fun of me (pardon the back lighting).


We then wandered around River Days, which was a bit of a street fair with local businesses and artists with booths. I don't tend to wear jewelry, or I would have been more interested. I did stumble upon a quilt group with a wonderful raffle quilt. I bought two tickets, well see if I'm lucky. I was shy and didn't get the lady's name, but she's current president of the Busy Bee quilters.


They also had a couple blocks of classic and collectible cars. Fascinating to take a peek under the hoods, where everything seems much simpler and less crowded than cars today.


Mom and I went shopping for various house type linens afterwards. I'm surprised how limited the color palette is, especially bedspreads. My parents just moved and have a really pretty, super dark green carpet. There was nothing even close in curtains, sheets, bedspreads and pillows. Everything is sage or olive green. After much dithering, a machine washable neutral colored bedspread was acquired, plus window scarves that I will get suckered into putting up later this week.

On the knitting front, I am basically finished with the vest. I only have a few ends left to weave in and buttons to sew on. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to block it... it doesn't lay flat after I put the armhole and neck edgings on. The pattern vaguely refers to steaming, but I've never done that before. More research, I suppose. Photographic proof of progress:


This was my first time picking up stitches around shaped edges. It's really quite a pain in the arse. I had to fudge lots of places and pick up around too many strands in other places or I would have left big gaping holes. The pattern always called for the decreases to happen right at the edges. I've seen elsewhere that you leave one stitch at the edge to be worked normally and decrease the two before it. I wonder if that would have made a cleaner edge. I'll have to play with it at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment