September 9, 2009

New and grumpy

I noticed, so I couldn't help but point it out-- until today, my September posts were all on days that are powers of two! Definitely unplanned, but cool nonetheless.

Before I take a minute to grump, I thought I'd flash some knitting. I've been feeling all sorts of urges to cast on for all sorts of things, including several scarily large projects. So far I've resisted, but I did start one thing.

I blame it on my mom. She's just too easy to make things for. One of the things she pointed out (twice) was that the scarves on her piano are too big for the space. Rebecca to the rescue!


Which should look something like this when it's done.


I am not a doily person. I would not like to have them around the house. But... I'm fascinated. The super thin yarn, the small needles, the time and effort needed to make some of the more ambitious projects (bedspread? really?!? wow.). So, well, I'll take my opportunity to try it out on the small scale, without herculean effort.

I've found it rather fiddly so far. I like double pointed needles, but I'm not used to using three around. It makes sense for this design, since it's hexagonal, but the angles are worrisome. I'll likely have some extra space at their joinings. I'm going to look for a 16in, 2mm (size 0) circular tonight, since I think I'm about to the point where I can switch. That should make things quite a bit easier.

Grump. Our new project at work uses android, google's baby. It comes with all sorts of built in tools to be able to test android code. But! (and it's a big but, let me tell you) The documentation sucks. I mean, largely nonexistent. I want some good, solid examples (that actually run, for heavens sake) so I can get an idea the best way to implement it. Gah! I spent all afternoon yesterday trying to get stupid, simple stuff to work. And eclipse... man, I want to smack the people who wrote it! So not intuitive, even actively saboutaging me it seems. I can't run the main program if there are errors... even if those errors are in the tests that aren't being touched and not in the source code! *Grump* Oh, and if I set the instrumentation runner in the manifest file where it should be, I have to separately tell eclipse that I'm using it, even though it's right there and should be able to find it! And andoid says use another manifest file for the tests, but then eclipse whines about duplicate manifest files. Bah humbug. < /Grump >

Maybe flowers will help...

No comments:

Post a Comment