September 24, 2009

My precious!

I caved rather quickly and had to go in and get my own wheel. The tipping point was having only one bobbin on the borrowed wheel. It got very frustrating to keep winding it off.

Here she is, a beautiful Lendrum double treadle. *does a happy dance*


What's that on the bobbin? It's some lovely bluefaced leicester from Enchanted Knoll Farm called 'Big Sky' (bought at Loopy Ewe). See?


I'm getting better at even yarn. Serious predrafting seems to be a key component. I had thought I'd divided the fiber evenly, but it sure doesn't look like it!

I had hoped to start plying last night, but we had our first rehearsal of the year. I play violin and James plays viola with the Everett Symphony. It should be a good concert... I'm especially looking forward to the Sibelius violin concerto.

James has been sick all week and he's finally starting to feel better. Still a little short on sleep though, so he begged for an extra hour this morning after I was already up and showered. I couldn't say no, so I decided to start plying my big sky.


I'm not quite sure how thick the yarn is... I'll have to take some wraps per inch measurements this evening when I'm done plying. It varies quite a bit, but I think it sort of averages out at a sport weight or so, maybe a little heavier. It's really pretty, whatever it ends up being. I've already been browsing ravelry looking for a pattern to use with it. I'm leaning towards fairly simple scarf patterns to show off some of the color changes. Stay tuned!

Oh, and those uneven bobbins of singles? Take a look now...


The one that looked fuller seems emptiest now. I have no idea why, but it might be how I packed the bobbin. Or maybe different bobbin tensions? Anyone have any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment