September 1, 2009

No knitting was harmed in the making of this post

Because, well, I didn't knit last night. I found a good book and sat down to read. I did, however, get a wild hair and make dinner rolls from scratch. See? (Please ignore the not quite clean stovetop, where I messily made my first plain old skillet pork chops). I don't do this much anymore, so it was a nice treat.


I first tried bread making years ago and could never quite get it right. Things never came out as good tasting as I wanted them to. Eventually I tried a different yeast and I've never gone back (Bob's Red Mill yeast). Now even the super simple recipes like these 'Dinner Rolls' from the Better Homes and Garden cookbook taste delightful. These look a little funny because I didn't use enough flour when I was shaping them so they fused and then split. So yummy, though.

I did sneak in a little bit of sewing this morning, while James was taking a shower. I'm working on Bonnie Hunter's Double Delight quilt (finished one here), so I'm making hundreds of square in square blocks. The first set is done, but the second set is suffering from missing sides.

First set (untrimmed):

Second set (unfinished, with their butts hanging out):

Besides finishing these, I've still got to make a whole lotta little nine patches out of these strips.


At least I don't need to cut any thing else until I get to the setting triangles. I enjoy feeding piece after piece through the machine, but I get tired of cutting out hundreds of tiny, fiddly pieces after only a short time. Perhaps because I want to be too exacting. The initial squaring up of pieces is always the worst part, especially for fat quarters. Must. Get. Right. Angles. Does anyone else dislike the cutting (she asks her quite likely non-existent audience)?

No comments:

Post a Comment