September 21, 2009

Progress

I read through the introduction in Modern Lace Knitting again and figured out how to do the crochet border on the azelea doily. Apparently "5 sts., dc." means to double crochet into 5 stitches, which looks better than 5 single crochets and a double crochet!

Blocking (sorry for the white on white, I was using the paper as a diameter guide):


Finished:


Very dashing. Now it needs a mate (and a couple ends woven in). I hope to brave it soon, since it really wasn't that bad once I got into it (and actually marked the pattern repeats...).

I had my first of two spinning classes yesterday. It was exciting to actually spin on a wheel! Here's my first wheel spun yarn. I had to wind it off the bobbin to keep going and had limited resources in class, so I don't think it would really be this kinky if I were to wash it or ply it


It was interesting, but I'd done so much research beforehand that there wasn't a whole lot of new information. Worth it just to get to use a wheel and borrow it for a week! I worked on a Lendrum single treadle. Here it is out in the wild (otherwise known as my living room).


The fiber is Lorna's Laces that I flashed last time. It's superwash merino and a little harder to get even than the natural colored Coopworth we used in class. I know I'm not a great or even decent spinner yet, but I'm allowing myself to use nicer materials than I think I really deserve. It's not the end of the world if it doesn't make the perfect yarn. (I say this mostly for me, since I tend to worry that I'll waste pretty fiber). Practicing is the only way to get better after all...

I'll stop rambling now and leave you with my first bobbin of uneven merino. So soft!

No comments:

Post a Comment