September 4, 2009

It's beginning to look like a busy weekend

There had been rumors that Bill, a guildmate of ours, was visiting and might need a place to crash this weekend. So, I did what any good procrastinator would do and figured I'd deal with it when it was confirmed. Well, yesterday we found out for sure. Much cleaning was furiously accomplished, though the kitchen isn't finished.

I made the mistake of thinking I could quick whip up some cookies before I finished cleaning. Um, so, I had a bit of a brain fart with the butter. The recipe called for 1/2 cup of butter, so I pulled out two sticks and went to town. Whoops! Doubling the butter apparently results in super spread out and flat cookies that do not want to let go of the baking sheet when they are cool. *Sigh*. I think the kitchen is actually messier than when I started...

In other, more cheerful news, I finally finished the shawl I've been making for my friend Beth. She threw my bridal shower last October. Yeah, it's really been that long (oh shit! thank you notes! I'm so awful...). I figure I would have finished this sooner, but it was my previous boring meeting/travel project, so it was only guaranteed about an hour a week. My parents just moved and are throwing a house warming party this weekend that I think Beth's coming to. I should be able to hand it over Saturday and hopefully get some pictures of her with it.

Until then, here are some shots to tide you over. For reference, the squares are 24 inches on each side.




Pattern: Madli's shawl from Knitted Lace of Estonia by Nancy Bush.
Time: February 2 to August 6 2009 (blocked September 3rd).
Yarn: Knitpicks Shimmer in Sherry, ~1.5 skeins.
Mods: I used beads for the nupps in the edging, then omitted the nupps in the center section.

If I were making this for me, I might add a few more repeats in the center section to make it a little longer. I think Beth is a few inches over five feet, so it should be the right size for her (at least I hope so).

No comments:

Post a Comment